SORRY EVERYONE, THIS WEEK’S NEW RELEASE ROUNDUP IS LATE BECAUSE WE WERE STUNNED INTO A BRIEF COMA BY THE SHOCK NEWS THAT SIA HAS CONTRIBUTED A SO-SO TRACK TO A MOVIE SOUNDTRACK
Song of the week:
Rae Morris — ‘Do It’
The best Ellie Goulding song Ellie Goulding never released. The best way to deal with a hangover. The best song this week. (You can see the video here.)
Wrong of the week:
Kygo vs U2 — ‘You’re The Best Thing About Me’
Actually we’re listening to this again now and it’s not as wrong as it first appeared. In fact it’s quite funny. Feels a bit strange that a 2017 U2 dance track somehow sounds more dated than all the Perfecto mixes they were involved with two decades ago, though — an unavoidable comparison considering one spends most of this new song’s first verse expecting Bono to launch into ‘Even Better Than The Real Thing’. Do you think that’s a deliberate callback? Very odd.
- The Sofi Tukker vs Nervo vs The Knocks pop pile-up is BRILLIANT. Would be good to see those two have a crossover hit, and by ‘those two’ we mean Sofi Tukker, but we also mean Nervo, and in fact we also mean The Knocks.
- Barry ‘Thunderpuss’ Harris has delivered a really incredible, dramatic happysad remix of Pink‘s current single.
- Future pop behemoth Sarah Close releases ‘Only You’ this week. There are big things to come from this singer of song.
- Confidence Man’s ‘Better Sit Down Boy’ is — and we mean this in the very best possible way — like a Girls Aloud album track from 13 years ago.
- DONKEYBOY ARE BACK!
- HANNAH JANE LEWIS IS ALSO BACK!
- Sia has — you really won’t believe this — contributed a song to a film soundtrack! This time round we’re talking My Little Pony: The Movie; ‘Rainbow’ is a better song than any one of us could ever hope to write, but not exactly one of Sia’s greatest-ever compositions.
- ‘Think About That’ is a song Jessie J seems to have written about… Well, it’s hard to say. Is it about her former management? (“You spent my money and I lost their faith” neatly sums up some of the more questionable career decisions that were quite possibly out of Jessie’s hands.) Anyway it is — and it feels quite good to say this — a pretty great, and pretty understated, song.
- No there isn’t a video autoplaying in another tab, it’s just the new Björk single.
The post New Music Friday: Rae Morris at the top, U2 vs Kygo (!) at the bottom, various songs in between appeared first on Popjustice.